View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I found that my 2.5W solar battery maintainer is totally inappropriate for maintaining the charge of my 350F (58F series) capacitors. With overcast sky, the panel put out 40mA of charge, and in direct sun late in the evening (6pm) I managed 140mA. It could probably peak at 200mA in direct noon sun. When I checked on the state of charge, my bank of 6 series 350F capacitors were charged to 16.02v and rising. The balance LEDs were beaming brightly trying to dissipate the extra charge, but were being over-run by the solar panel.
I was about to ask if a solar charging panel would work instead of another battery. Would you need a voltage regulator in the circuit for sunny days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus
Lithium batteries are barely usable at freezing temps. Even high tech Varley Lithium are rated by factory for no less than -10°C (14°F).
Didn't know that. Good to know as I'm considering pulling out my Diehard to stick a super-cap pack in it's place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus
Having found out Laserhacker's experiment back in 2014, I've tried to replicate it myself. The foremost purpose was weight balance in the car - as the battery, originally 60Ah and over 15kg / 33lbs, is at the extreme front end, outside the wheelbase, and any sizable weight reduction here decreases the polar moment on inertia and therefore the understeering.
Glad you mentioned this. My wife's car has the battery sitting in front of the front wheel, at least it's mounted low. My truck's is forward of the front wheel, but about 4 feet off the ground.