View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

My 2010 III has 65K miles on it and I get around 55-56 mpg on the highway at 65 mph.

Michelin Defender tires at 44 front 42 rear, Toyota 0W20 oil, factory original transaxle fluid and the only change I made to improve my mileage was change the gasoline I was using. I use to get 53-54 mpg at 65 mpg with Sunoco then I changed my fuel supply.

Tossed in a bottle of Techron to clean out the crap and switched to Shell a top tier gas. After two or three tanks my mileage jumped back up to what I was getting with straight gas before we were forced into E10.

I'm not a fan of pulling wipers off or spare tires out of the car. Obvious on the wipers if they were detrimental on aero Toyota would have made design mods. The airflow over the car is not affected by the windshield wipers in fact the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. Same with rear wiper due to being inline with the airflow over the car it has minimal effect on fuel mileage. To the point it probably couldn't be measured accurately between installed and eliminated.

I understand the weight of mini spare is a concern here, but there is a problem.

Yes if you get a nail in a tire a can of tire repair foam will work until you can get the tire repaired. What if you puncture the sidewall? You're waiting for a tow truck.

I've driven over one million miles and I've twice had sidewall punctures. Both times I ran over something in the road and it cut through the sidewall on the edge of the tread. Neither was repairable and tire had to be replaced.

Looking at your list this is what I agree with.

side mirror- 2.16
tire foam- .34
tall rear head rest- .82 x2
short rear head rest- .84
front license plate frame- .4
intake resonator- 1.86
misc bolts and old antenna- .26
owners manuals- 2.1
rear carpet mats/ trunk organizer- 6.48
rear shade- 3.68
trunk mat- 5.86

Just an old guys opinion that has been there, done that, and got the tee shirt.