View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

The local Shell by me is usually either equal to or two to three cents more than the no name stations around me so it makes sense to use them.

Yes all the gas comes out of the same refineries, the difference is the "additive" package that the fuel haulers add to their load of gasoline. That's what makes the difference between no name gas stations and top tier stations.

I had an old Volvo 960 2.9L 24V that use to get 29.25-29.75 on straight gas.
Over the last ten years the fuel mileage had dropped to 26.5 mpg or so which I was blaming on E10 gas.

A buddy was doing some on the road R&D work for Shell and said try some Shell in your Volvo and see if it helps. Threw in a bottle of Techron and after two to three tanks of Shell V-Power with Nitro I had a whole different car.

Just made a trip to Florida second week of December of 1170 miles each way and I averaged 29.2 mpg at 65 mph. I'm not going to complain over a 10% increase in fuel mileage.

In the Prius it has only been a 3.5-4.5% increase by the fuel change but I'll take anything I can get since we have the highest gasoline taxes in the country.

I know where you're coming from on the cost of top tier fuels in certain areas of the country because I got raped at a Shell station in Ga. where I had to pay .40 more than any other gas station along the interstate. We're talking about a car with a 21.3 gallon gas tank so it cost me an extra $8 to fill it up.

Why, they were the only Shell station along I-95 open at 11:00 pm at night.