Thread: Short Skirts?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

A couple of points: I think that closing the gap between the wheel and the opening would be beneficial, and is probably the best bang for the buck on the front wheels. (Maybe in combination with some foil tape on the wheels or full moon covers?)

It is not very hard to hinge the Coroplast to make a support "wedge" that allows the skirts to cover more of the wheel. If you cut a 'V' in the back through just the one face and into the corrugation ribs, this lets you fold a portion that can touch the lower part of the car's body; to support it.

To cut the 'V' I retracted all but the tip of the blade on my utility knife, and held it at ~45d; and then the opposite way. Once the ~1/4" wide 'V' strip is removed, you can then slide the metal support rod (I settled for 1/8", but 5/32" dia would be ideal) through the whole thing. (I had previously cut it to length, leaving ~1/4" space to the tip of the rod; so it won't touch the car body.)

I then used two pairs of pliers to bend the rod to hold the folded panel in position. The Coroplast is quite tough, and with a little care, it was not damaged by the jaws of the pliers.

I did have the acrylic sheet skirts that I had made before; to use as a pattern, so this Coroplast pair was made in ~2 hours; including attachment. (The longest time was spent cutting the large curved edge back to just the outer plastic face; so the fastening tape would be flush.) The next set (if needed) will have a similar flange on the angled panel so I can fasten them with tape more easily.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/