View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #142 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
tesla/alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by evtower View Post
Slowmover, thanks for your post and for sharing your viewpoint. You wrote, "From my end one can see the utility of a pickup." I absolutely can see the utility and obviously an EV tow vehicle cannot possibly tow a 9,000 lb trailer that is used a primary residence. Which sounds fantastic.

But some people do live in the 17 ft lightweight trailer I plan to buy. See The Path to Less Stuff

That person is towing it with a Subaru Outback, but as I pointed out earlier it can be readily towed with a Tesla EV https://teslaxcanada.com/

My wife and I have no intention of living in our trailer. We love our house. Our trailer will be a recreational "toy" (and I understand you did not apply that term in a deragtory way .
Looks from your links that the combo 'works' and is successful on the road.
Kamm tested an automobile which had a body quite like that of the Alto,which was reported at Cd 0.45.Until such tests are done and published,we have no idea what the drag of the tow vehicle/trailer combo is.
Hope you can loosely track your kW-hr consumption on the trips,which will help us reverse-engineer some of the performance.
The EVs have 'engine' efficiencies on the order of BSFC 0.138-lbs/bhp-hr, and we may be able to correlate the EV values with that of ICE RV rigs.
I sure like the stow-able roof on Alto,which shaves off so much frontal area when towing.
ROAD & TRACK ' raced' a Tesla S and reported that the car will protect itself from motor overheat automatically,so even if you 'dog' the rig,you probably wouldn't be able to hurt it if you were trying.
This is a glimpse of zero-carbon-potential RV'ing.I sure like that!