View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #185 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I havnt actually tested it yet, but the water blockls are 5.5x12 with a 1/4" copper channel for the cooling circuit. These are plumbed in parallel. The rest of the water block is aluminum.

The copper pipes dont remove heat just from the IGBT's but more so the aluminum.

-Adam
How many 1/4" copper channels are in parallel?

I'm told that the thickness of the aluminum - shortest path between the IGBTs and the copper channels - is the greatest resistance to heat flow. The rest of the aluminum is cooled, but the important part seems to be the path between the heat source (IGBT base) and the cooling (Glycol)

I (since it's Paul's design but it's my heat sink) have 4 passes of 3/8" wide by 3/8" deep (I think) x 10 inches long in series. Most of the area covered is beneath the IGBTs. The cross sectional area works out to about the inside of a 1/2 inch copper pipe, but the machining is not quite as smooth.

The rest of the piping - radiator to pump, pump to heat sink, heat sink to radiator - is 3/4 inch home plumbing flexible plastic pipe that likely should not be in a car. But when you hit it with a heat gun and form it, it holds it's shape quite well.

My circulating pump is rated for about 4 gpm at a couple of PSI head.