View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
So, it seems as though if you have a Honda, you can pick up an oil warmer/cooler VERY inexpensively. They sell on ebay for around $10 used. Since its not a wearable item that sounds like an amazing deal. However, the ones for $10 are made for sport bikes. I'm not 100% sure that the housing is large enough for car/truck oil filters. However, for more money one can find one specifically used on a car engine. If you do try one of the bike ones, just make sure it is the type that allows you to mount a filter on the end. Some of them are capped off on the ends.

One end will always look like this:

The other end MUST look like this:

If the end looks like this, you will have no place to mount your filter:

Also, a lot of these auctions do not come with the bolt that holds the warmer/cooler in place and allows mounting of your oil filter. So, you will either need to make sure that your item comes with it, or find one separately. You'll also need an o-ring or seal so it seals to the block. The bolts look like this:

For those of us who do not own a Honda, or other make that uses M20x1.5 threads for the oil filter, what are we to do? We have a few options. So far I've found these vehicles that use similar oil warmer/coolers:

Early 2000 to mid 2000 Jaguars (unknown thread).

Numerous Mazdas have these, the Miata, 3, 5, etc. (unknown thread).

GM & Chevy have one that I found for the Camero / Corvette.

Toyota Tundra 4.7L has a 3/4-16 thread and probably uses larger filters suitable for larger engines. These also cost a bit more. Cheapest I found was $38 shipped.

By far the most prevalent was the VW / Audi oil coolers. They have a few vehicles with oil coolers on them with 3/4-16 threads. Here is what it looks like. Prices on ebay varied quite a bit for these. Again watch so you get the bolt and the seal with it or you'll have to buy it separate.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph, and Kawasaki bikes also have oil coolers. I am lead to believe they use the M20x1.5 thread as they seem to have interchangeable oil filters with Honda bikes. I haven't dug real deep into this though.

So, those are the warmer / cooolers I found. I stopped searching after prices hit about $50. I think there are plenty of choices, and if the motorcycle warmers fit a car they are really cheap.

Of course, one alternative is to buy a cooler and make your own bolt for it. In that case, it almost doesn't matter what cooler you go with as long as it fits up and seals to your block.

I think this mod is really a great idea for those of us who make a lot of shorter trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilwarmer1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	21178   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilwarmer2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	21179   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilwarmer3.jpg
Views:	201