View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
You won't get much MPG difference between Normal and Eco mode; it's mostly a gimmick. The throttle pedal is remapped so that a lot of pedal movement is needed initially, while the top end of the throttle map is extremely touchy. The silly thing is that brisk acceleration is efficient, so I don't know why everyone including vehicle manufacturers think you need to accelerate at a snails pace to conserve fuel.

Other than ruining the throttle map by making it non-linear, eco mode also chooses more efficient times to run the AC. It won't make much difference though.

I have heard many problems blamed on a weak 12v battery, and wouldn't be surprised if poor fuel economy could also result. The 12v battery is used to activate the traction battery circuit, and once that happens, the 12v converter uses the traction battery to power all accessories. The engine will then come on whenever the traction battery needs to be charged.

If the vehicle is not fully on, meaning it isn't ready to be shifted into D for driving, then the 12v battery is used exclusively to power accessories such as the radio, lights, and fans.

Oh, and I just read the part about you having an extra plug for the wiper hole. I'd love to get that from you if possible. I have 10 of the wrong size and have just been using black duct tape to cover the hole.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!