View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
ThermionicScott
ScanGauge <3

Thumbs up First full tank with ScanGauge!

...and also my first full tank since joining EM and adding a few tips/mods to my repertoire. I saw the gas light on my way to work today and knew it was time. Filled up on my way home (it's only 5 miles each way) and got 24.8 MPG. Looking back through the log book, my previous first fills of the year were 22.3 (2016), 23.5 (2015), and 17.9 (2014), so I'd call it a success.

Usually, January has my worst tanks of the year, but my last few tanks have been trending upward. I credit the added lower grille block and regular use of the block heater for getting my engine up to temp faster and keeping it there, and the ScanGauge for showing me how much further I can coast in neutral before the waste of idling overshadows my forward progress. Previously, I didn't let my speed sag too much before figuring I should add more momentum.

Subarus make it tough to achieve good gas mileage for a lot of reasons, but I think a goal of averaging 25 MPG over the winter and 30 over the summer may be doable with more practice.

- Scott

P.S. I have to give myself a demerit over the ScanGauge "fillup" procedure, though. It underestimated my fill by more than a gallon, but I accidentally saved the fill before correcting it. D'oh!

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-18-2017 at 06:01 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
Ecky (02-11-2017), Fat Charlie (02-28-2017), mcrews (01-20-2017), skyking (01-18-2017)