View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

They used 5w30, not thin enough to cause instant damage - but enough to, over time cause niggling issues with idle at first and then symptoms like misfiring, but not. Then mpg started to fall off.. Dealer wanted to pull the head, £450 just to look.

I strongly suspect they've been shoving it in anything that comes in rather than getting the proper stuff in, but I can't prove it.

I've got a suspicion it's not done the mains any good either but I don't have the money to have someone tear it down. It sounds suspiciously like my first Humber that had a hot oil pressure of 5! when it's half warm at idle. Still the Alpha was supposed to run 21psi hot so it's not as bad as the Audax engine, that was supposed to be 50psi @ 3000rpm.. Not 5.

Had a nice fast run this afternoon though, 65-75mph & still averaged 12l/hr.. Previously that sort of run would have been 14-15. I don't think it was too serious. But people need to check that what they're getting is what they asked for, and know what they need.