View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #66 (permalink)
jakehammer2000
HP economizer

0&7) The DOT race tires you see are my oldest set, for the bike to sit upon over winter. I race superbike and GP classes only, on full slicks. Those SS guys can keep their extra limitations, I want to build/race the toy I want.

1) going to experiment with that. The only way to really know is to go out in practice on a race weekend and see if they registered laptimes for my session. so this is on the back burner until April

2) totally agree. The race bodywork sold to us is derived from showroom differentiation rather than aero. Check out my progress pics.

3) interesting idea- I would have to do some testing on that because I believe the tire warmers are a rather tight fit already.

4) they don't make the corsa for the 2006 unfortunately. I ought to see how different they are from the 2008+ bike, something might be doable..

5) How did you determine the benefit?

5b) yes, I am on the newestfangled ultralight 520 chain/sprocket

8) No doubt- but this is the best I can do in the middle of winter
(I'm working on minimizing personal deadweight too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethink View Post
I'm going to assume you are running in the supersport class, seeing as how you aren't using slicks.

1) Move your transponder somewhere else. Maybe behind the gauge cluster. You still want it as far forward as possible, in case you are neck and neck with somebody at the finish line.

2) See if you can get a front fairing without those funky air channels on the sides. Chances are, if MotoGP guys aren't using funky bodywork, then it's probably just a gimmick.

3) A front fender that extends farther forward over the tire, might be beneficial. It looks like there is a pretty large gap (an inch or so) between your current front fender and the tire, which may act as a air scoop, increasing drag. Maybe you could modify the mounting holes, to get the fender closer to the tire

4) It looks like you already have a taller windscreen, but there are others on the market that look like they may provide better wind protection. I'm thinking of the Zero Gravity Corsa screen. The Sport touring one is even better, but you may run into helmet clearance issues with that one. Perhaps you could get that one and trim it so it doesn't interfere with your helmet.

5) When I used to go down the straights, I would take my hand off the left bar, and grab onto the top of the left fork. That would get my hand out of the air stream, and allow my elbow to get in tighter to the tank. I've even seen some guys put their left arm behind their back to reduce drag, lol.

Unrelated to aero:

5) Perhaps you could clean, polish and re-grease your brake pad retaining pins/sliding hardware to makes sure there is no excess friction. Same thing for your drive chain. Are you running a 520?

6) I hear Daytona is really hard on tires. I think they make special tires for that track to cope with the steep banks.

7) Superbike allows for a lot more modifications. Have you considered moving up?

8) Rider skill is by far the biggest factor in going fast on any track. Practice practice practice. Your riding looks very good though.