View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #56 (permalink)
rdefayette
Diesel Trucker

JD - '04 Dodge Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 SLT
Last 3: 18.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Was through your area again this past week. But now pulling a 53'. Man, how I hate crosswinds. 22F and icy doesn't help either when the four-wheelers get confused. Any reduction to steering inputs is huge for FE (Kenworth sez measurable by inputs per 100-miles). I've a hard time convincing Dodge diesel owners how important zero steering slop really is. Add in some aero mods as with yours and it'd be an eye opener for them to drive one that's been optimized.

With this giant company, getting them to replace shocks on this tractor and servicing fifth wheel properly (a steering component) will make a real difference for controlling the rig in winds (as well as on rutted roads, with passing trucks, etc).

Aero ain't just a nice reduction to the annual average fuel burn. It's right there with safety as well.
Yes it is, nothing worse than getting blown all over the place. What I did notice when I put the cap on is the pressure ridge from OTR trucks passing me doesn't seem to affect the truck as much. Air kinda rolls off the back of the truck instead of pushing me over to the side. What do they have you doing out in this neck of the woods? Tomorrow and Tuesday will be interesting. Weather forecast is calling for 50-60 mph gusts with a steady 35-40 for 2 days. Good to hear from you hope all is going well. BTW, Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy New Year.