View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #685 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
8 or 10" wheels?

Hopefully you have taken the advice to repack the wheel bearings with better grease. And if you have an handheld infrared thermometer, take it along to monitor the tires and bearings enroute.
This one has 12'' wheels, 4 lug. I took the hubs apart and cleaned the bearings with brake cleaner and repacked (actual repack, not using the zerk) the bearings using marine grade wheel bearing grease. The stuff for boat trailers. It went down the highway at 65 and the bearings were nice and cool the whole way!

Whatever was on there certainly wasn't grease! I believe it's some sort of anti corrosion stuff. The instructions weren't that great, and some of the bolt holes won't line up when the trailer is square. If I kink the halves of the trailer, the bolt holes line up. Go figure.

But for the price, it's not a bad trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
I guess most of Europe gets it wrong then. Then again, maybe you mean towing farm implements on a fifth wheel trailer, not moving your flat pack furniture, bringing a motorcycle or a (small) camping trailer.

Probably 90% of the vehicles here are FWD, and most have a tow rating between 1.5k and 4k lbs, which is enough for most people. If you actually have a commercial reason to move more, you get a nice ladder chassis vehicle, which often also means rwd or awd, but the tax here is quite excessive, so you don't throw away thousands of bucks a year in weight-tax and extra fuel expenses just to drive a heavier car for no reason.
Here in the US everyone drives a full frame pickup with 10K towing capacity. If they need to tow or haul something, they will rent a truck so they don't scratch theirs!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller88 For This Useful Post:
Fingie (01-26-2017), freebeard (01-26-2017), skyking (01-26-2017)