View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #689 (permalink)
AlexanderB
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Here in the US everyone drives a full frame pickup with 10K towing capacity. If they need to tow or haul something, they will rent a truck so they don't scratch theirs!
Thats how we Europeans see America, yes. Its also why we're angry about paying $8+ a gallon while the Americans cry about $3 being "sooo much". Also why we're angry about America burning through 30% of the worlds' gasoline with 3% of the world population. Learn to drive normal cars and leave some for us! /sarcasm, but really, why?

10k towing capacity, only if you have a fifth wheel and 3k of it leans on the truck, (non big-rig) trailers here have a 7k lbs total weight limit.
As do cars, so if you buy a big ladder chassis vehicle, you might be stuck with almost zero loading capacity, legally, because its unladen weight is already say 5-6k lbs.)

Or you'd have to get your 'light truck' license, which comes with a lot of safety certification if you want to use it commercially. (Instead of say, for a big RV.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Nice
In the US, we don't insure trailers, they are covered by the tow vehicle's insurance
Same in Europe too. Only when they're hooked up though, so often people add them to their home insurance in case it gets stolen or otherwise damaged while parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
My neighbors and I share a few trailers. A trailer co-op would be the bomb.
Thats how a lot of smaller trailer rental companies here got started I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexanderB For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (01-28-2017)