View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
ThermionicScott
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Apart from the unsprung weight, other aspect that I consider important is the improved comfort, since a tyre with a higher profile in a smaller-diameter wheel tends to absorb more impact from the irregularities in the pavement.
Hear, hear! When I bought my snow tires, I sought out 205/75R15s rather than the stock 205/70R15. At the time, I liked the idea of gaining a tiny bit more ground clearance for deep snow, but now the extra comfort of a taller sidewall and slightly higher gearing are bonuses. I would hate to be pumping up low-profile tires to improve my FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Hint: Many of the "cheaper"(econo) lines of chevy/GM vehicles had 5x100mm with a 57.1mm bore, just like your VW, starting back in the 80s right up until mid-2000s.

There's lots of them. Chevy cavalier, Beretta, Corsica, etc; Pontiac Sunfire, Sunbird, Fiero, etc. Etc, etc.

Plus! Chrysler/Dodge used to use the same in the 90s. Lebaron, shadow, etc.

Here's what you need. A proper list:
Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: 5 X 100

Just makes sure it has the 57.1mm bore (or bigger) before you buy any. And ~ the same level of offset. (They should almost all be "high" offset anyway)

I have '00 Cavalier z24 16" wheels on my Fiero. They will swap right out with my Jetta's.
That is a great link! It's too bad we don't live closer together, tel. I think I still have all of the alloy 15s from my departed Beretta...

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-04-2017)