View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The newer generation injectors would likely help.
You could always buy up used ones on ebay to get 10 total.
You could just gut the converters if you don't live in a smog prone area and don't have emissions testing. I have found aftermarket replacements can last for as little as a year or 2, before they start to rattle. It would free up more $ for other mods.
I found a whole bunch of injectors on ebay. Problem is theyre all 24-30 lb injectors. From what ive been able to get out of google, the stock is about 20lb. I dont necessarily want to max out what the computer can adjust in stock form. Ive had thoughts of upping the crompression to about 9.5:1, stock is 8.4:1. And thoughts of swapping a new cam into it. Only problem is i can only find cams with more lift and duration. So more upper end hp. Woukd help deal with larger injectors, Not what im looking for. It allready has roller lifters. And roller rockers are definitely on my list. Surely raising the compression alone can make a decent improvement.

The only other way i can think of to reduce internal losses is to balance everything to within a half gram of each other. I think that while the block deck height is being shaved ill balance the rods and pistons myself. Then crank by the machinist. As long as the ring ridge is acceptable i would just twist on some new rings and dingleball the cylinders. But, while its all apart, just bore it smooth and get some new lighter pistons and proper forged rods to make things more happy. I priced out to rebuild my old 4.0 inline 6 many times and with pretty much everything it came to around $1500 with machine work. But that was for more power. The valvetrain alone was $500 of that.

Anyway. I thought about gutting the cats but that seems counter productive to me. And i like that they muffle things down quite a bit. I put a mew one on my jeep 4 years ago and its still together.

So. Ive got a muffler picked out. Cherry bomb turbo 16835cb. I need to measure things out again to make sure i got the right size picked out. And a couple cats seem to be around $80 each at the cheapest. If im going to retain the smog pump i need to make sure its got the right bung hole in it for those air lines.

Things would be much easier if i removed that system all together. Should i just ditch the smog pump and get normal cat's?

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles