View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #336 (permalink)
teoman
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
%10 - %20 is nothing to scoff at.

If you have a fleet of vehicles, that will amount to a huge saving very quickly.

From what I understand from what has been written here, converting fuel to vapor does not change the amount of energy in the fuel. So when people say things like it takes up %1000 more volume therefore we have increased our fuel supply just sounds ignorant.

The combustion characteristics of the fuel may change when it is heated and it is in the form of vapor. This will allow you to try things such as lean burn. From my limited understanding, lean burn works well, however the leaner the mixture, the slower the combustion/burn, so you end up pushing still burning gasses out of your piston which the rest of the system is not too happy with.

So, if i were you i would be looking at how to measure lean burn in my engine before i begin this process.

Also you say that using exhaust to heat up the fuel is crap, but in my opinion that statement is not true. There may have been an implementation using exhaust heat that did not work. But exhaust heat is just heat (energy) using/harvesting and controlling the delivery of that energy is what is important. To the fuel, it does not matter where the energy came from, electrical resistance, its own burner or the exhaust is irrelevant. With our abilities it may not be practical to use exhaust heat, the temperature may not be controllable, it may not be localizable to where you want.... but heat is heat and the exhaust is a free source of it.

A heatpipe could deliver the energy from the exhaust to a very localized area, have a look at those if you want.