View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
No idea why you didn't just Edit->Delete the 2nd post???

I like slowmover's posts but this:

...is pretty cryptic. I think it may be what I called 'use case'.

Still wanting to see the layout, so I can suggest gull-wing doors over the tools in the front of the bed.
Does this truck offset operating/ownership expense by generating income directly or indirectly. Appears a yes, to both. IRS deductible work related miles. That alone pays fuel penalty. Obviates changes not related to reliability and longevity. Chasing rainbows by major changes. Not cost or time effective.

OP, you do need a weight distribution hitch. Mandatory. Trailer tongue weight does not equate to weight of cargo in bed. It's simply a static measurement. Hitch needs to return most or all of steer axle weight to same value as when unhiched.

The rdefayette bed cover is still a best option. Same for highest quality tires and shocks. Michelin and Bilstein. Eliminate steering slop (new column shaft and outwards to wheels all new). Focus on electrical. All new grounds, etc. All new wiring a better course of action than the rest of what is suggested. Days out of service is a direct contributor to loss of income.

The longer this truck lasts is the moneymaker. Not otherwise.

As to losing truck and getting car: A Dodge Charger/V6 is fully capable of handling a 5000-lb equipment trailer. More than can be carried by truck. Solo, 27-mpg without trying. Etc.

Last edited by slowmover; 02-10-2017 at 06:59 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-10-2017), RustyLugNut (02-12-2017)