View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #35 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I also use a trailer as home. I use a one ton Dodge. Both seen in my signature. If I somehow lost the use of the Dodge I'd likely use a V8 Charger.

As to what's "safe" in towing, it isn't the manufacturer ratings. Those are designed to get one into a pickup. Decidedly less safe than a car, by every measure.

A better trailer is another approach to using less fuel. An Airstrean style trailer (Silver Streak, Avion or Streamline) has aerodynamic properties such that a half ton or big car can do the job. One of these isn't old at ten years and 30-years can be found where just a re-hab of new appliances and some general work pertain. Click on the link to see the one I sold (since replaced).

Keep this in mind as time goes on. A dedicated rig needs both vehicles to cut transportation costs. I had a hair under $30k into both vehicles when purchased ten years ago. Have a goal of better vehicles.

25-mpg highway solo for the one ton, and 15-mpg towing the 35' trailer. Just inside the experience of quite a few others.

Reliability and longevity will pay on that 488. Re-wire the truck front to back, and rebuild steering and suspension. Age, alone, calls for it.