View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
As to what's "safe" in towing, it isn't the manufacturer ratings. Those are designed to get one into a pickup. Decidedly less safe than a car, by every measure.
-
I had a hair under $30k into both vehicles when purchased ten years ago. Have a goal of better vehicles.
ive personally seen smaller trucks carrying heavier loads... and if manufacturer ratings don't mean nothing other than sales figures, why do they have a legal twist to 'em? and by these figures, I'm under weight. it tows flat and steady with everything loaded up. and i don't go past 65mph.

and so far I got you beat at $15,000 for this setup. i could've gone cheaper but i do have standards.

--

anyway. to get on topic. i got the day off so I'm going to do some more work. first i have to find a place to do it. the rv park doesnt allow maintenance work.... anyway i want to drop the suspension. from what i have read, one can take the stock lift blocks out of the back and then put them above the axle so as to reuse the U-bolts. the front however would require cutting the coils. some say 2/3 but still have 3/8" more up front and some 1 full coil and end up even. with the 1 coil cut it only has about 1.5" till it touches the bumpstop... i do have my old zj with h&r springs sitting where theres maybe an inch to the front bumpstops and it definitely could use some more travel, any lower and the steering rods would slam against the oil pan... anyway looking at the trucks front end theres plenty of room for everything to fit. both are similar designs.

anyway. i can have the springs out and cut and back driving again in a few hours. assuming nothings rotted together. I've had the jeep apart so many times I've swapped out all my springs numerous times a year within 2 hours each time. its so easy.

and to those arguing cutting coils is a bad idea... its really the only option i got. i can't seem to find "lowering" springs for the front easily. at least not for the 4x4's. and i have done some air suspension searches and got no farther than rear helpers or 2wd front.

i could get individual bags for $100ish each, and make my own custom setup. from what i can gather a fully home put-together air suspension could be anywhere from $500 to... well as much as you want but i really wouldnt mind having the ability to air up and down for varying loads and highways... i also have a fear that over time the air will escape, or lines/seals deteriorate and I'm slammed down like an old lincoln. i don't want that frame grinding look just a nice ride and ride height adjustment. so... a small pump and tank with manual valves... looks to be around $750 for all around. i would count about half that as an eco mod as i mainly want to do that for comfort rather than economy, but it does have its eco abilities.

anyway. I've been averaging 12 so far on this tank. 160 miles in and down just a tick from a quarter to full . from the pump calculations the on board computer is pretty close to being accurate for the average.

so... if i can't find somewhere to hack on my springs ill probably go scouting around for materials to make the aeroshell. I'm thinking about making a simple one for now. maybe conduit and film or plastic sheets. i won't have time to modify the welder arrangement until early march. which is fine as i should have this job till at least may. then its go time for some field work.

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles