View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's what happens when you don't have a plan.

Is the corrugated sheet polyurethane? How do you plan to cut it?

What do the screws look like?
polycarbonate. and i bought a jigsaw and ended up using scissors and a razor blade...

and 1" self tapping screws. i know over 170 of 'em. i used one box and a few out of the other i got.

---

in short. it looks absolutely dreadful.

still has a few rough edges to get off, and my "no tape measure" method had a few issues. but. its sturdy and so far hasn't fallen off. i need to get another panel to seal off the back and level it off. i put some curve into the rear cross to help with the load.

i drove to the gas station to get a top off for this mod. and my recent city cruising has killed my 12mpg avg... 10.8 this tank.

while i was filling up a guy pulled up to the pump next to me in a new lincoln continental. needless to say i asked if i could have a look... and its exactly what i imagined it to look in real life. absolutely gorgeous... made my truck look like it belongs in a junk yard. ..... someday ill have a nice car...

anyway. so far i can definitely tell a difference. it coasts much farther then before. and my instant gauge reads a few miles higher than usual. so hopefully this tank will go awhile further.

so i guess my eco driving tactics should be mentioned.

1: accelerate as quickly as possible while keeping the ignition advance as high as possible. usually above 30 degrees. wide open it drops to 15-20 degrees. cruising 35-40 degrees.

2: steady throttle down hill. less up hill. essentially pick a target mpg and keep the needle above it. traffic permitting.

3: learn the farthest i can coast to a stop at an intersection or slow for "reduced speed ahead".

... thats about it... i can't engine off coast with the auto. even then i tried it in a parking lot today and had decent steering but no brakes... 2 feet hard on the pedal to get it stopped... hydroboost brakes do not like a still power steering pump.

so... further input will come.

i guess i should also mention that this topper is a prototype. i want to see some improvements before i go and get a few $'s worth of sheet aluminum and small pipe. i don't need convenience right now. and if this topper saves me a few dollars more than i paid for the materials then we're going somewhere. cost me $150 for everything other than the $25 jigsaw i thought i was going to use but never opened the box... I'm sure ill find a use for it later though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 3.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	21299   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 2.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	21301  

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles

Last edited by Sparkeysmall; 02-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: the last bit i forgot to mention
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkeysmall For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (02-17-2017), freebeard (02-16-2017)