View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

I can't remember the route, but the 2014 mid-Ohio Vetter fuel challenge, starting on a cool July morning; a group ride as real-world as is possible for a group ride from Lexington to Pickerington and back to Lexington, which is in between the greater Mansfield and Columbus MSAs; at or about 150 miles round trip; netted me 96.9 mpg according to my own records on my 2014 Honda CTX700 (101.85 official result).

Up until the time of that event, I had never exceeded 83 mpg on this amazing stock, mid-sized motorcycle. However, at this event, I tucked except during braking and up hills and in in-town riding and my windshield mounts unexpectedly broke the morning of the ride dropping my windshield down to where the air was coming directly in my face when upright. I kept the bike in somewhat higher gears than usual but not all that much different than other group rides I had previously attended. The speed was actually faster than the charity rides I had been on and there was a five or six mile interstate stretch where I reached up to 75 due to the slinky action of the convoy, though we were going north, and there was likely a slight tail wind during that stretch, but it was a calm, warm day once it warmed up. The bike was stock except for the dropped-down Madstad screen and a large tool box strapped to the seat behind me.

I think it was not a measurement anomaly and was legitimate. The tank before, and the tank after the event came in at the normal mid-seventies mark for mixed riding and traveling back home; the latter from the same pump and fuel as filled from prior to the event.

If these events haven't ended, I may try again for 2017 to replicate that feat, but can't find any evidence that the Vetter Fuel Challenges will continue this year. Would love to show up this time with a slightly smaller rear sprocket (maybe; still debating the eco advantage of this mod, if any, on my bike that already runs at low RPM and higher final drive may mean more downshifting than stock). I'd also love to have someone help me build a Sendler-like tail) and maybe take the windshield off leaving only the mount and tuck, tuck, tuck.

2014 Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge, Vintage Days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctx700front-left.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	21316  
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (02-18-2017)