View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 41.57 mpg (US)
So taken many steps back in the last few months. And work pressure means I haven't been able to address anything.

First: the hubcaps are off. I had terrible luck getting them to stay on, many mad dashes out into fields to retrieve after seeing them fly off the car. The last foray 2 were too damaged to continue and I've been thinking what the long term solution is and a complete redesign is being contemplated. I need hubcaps that are captured by the wheel nuts, I distrust the other kind completely now. But that poses shape problems because the type that are captured by the wheel nuts they simply don't have a sympathetic shape. Alas, I've seen the pizza pan flat wheel solution and think I might go down that route.

Second: I had to get new tires. My dealer has the "Tires for Life" incentive, but I found myself in a pickle when I needed new tires immediately and I didn't have any time to do any research. So I've ended up with Goodyear Eagle LS' and subsequently I've seen a 10% or more decrease in MPG. WTF? Are these tires just dogs? The OEMs were Kuhmos and I didn't think much of them until this. Alas, I'm stuck with the Goodyears.