View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #109 (permalink)
craysus
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
I have a few comments for you regarding truck aerodynamics. I have been involved in the development of virtually all of the aero add-ons used today. The work was done in the wind tunnels of the National Research Council of Canada form 1976 untill today. Current trucks have much lower fuel consumption than several decades ago. The largest contributor to this improvement has been aerodynamic improvements. I would recommend both boat-tails and trailer skirts for your fleet, assuming that you already have the cab-mounted aero packages and cab extenders. For more info download the Society of Automotive Engineers paper SAE 2003-01-3376, entitled "Truck Aerodynamics Reborn – Lessons from the Past" by Kevin R. Cooper, Aerodynamics Laboratory, NRC Ottawa, Canada. For more info contact Kevin@CooperAero.com. Good luck.
Thanks Kevin, been reading a few white papers out of Canada.. Looks like you boys get to play with lots of testing...
I am definitely looking at aero mods to truck and trailer.. Including everything but boat tails due to legal reasons here in Australia

So aero list so far is
Aero bumper
Undertrayfrom bumper to front axle
Air damn under bumper
Aero mudflaps
New super low hood modified from modern hood.. To replace old sar version
Removing exhaust stacks, horns, raised running lights
Changing mirrors
Changing top air deflector to modern single arc for cab and sleeper style
Using tank / chassis fairings
Using drive wheel fairings
Using top of chassis blocking plates
Trailers..
Using side skirts. Using nose Cones
Aero mudflaps

And using airtabs or similar vortex generators on trailer and tractor.. To bridge the gap.. And to create a virtual boat tail.. And also to reduce buffeting problems.

I can't use super wide single tyres unfortunately here..

Things like weight reduction I can't do much with atm..

If I can achieve the fuel reduction of 40 percent overall.. Which looking at multiple white papers showing huge reductions in drag ( divide by 2 for fuel gains) and the testing on engine improvements so far should all be possible, it will be a massive achievement.
Who knows might open a business once I have the proof... And resell all my work to others interested in sensible cost effective savings on their own fleets..

Seems most after market vendors are only focusing on small sections which rarely work well in their own right..