View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #121 (permalink)
ctmaybury@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by craysus View Post
These are great in general documents, however I am hesitant to pull a big cummins down to find we would only gain a percent or so at max..
Has anyone modified a big cummins and tested to find firm improvements in fuel efficiency?

A lot of these VE improvements definately do improve horsepower, and sometimes that then has a negative effect on fuel efficiency.
Simple case would be putting a set of extractors on a honda civic..depending on the design you will increase the VE of the engine, and expand the useable rev range by 500rpm, effectively shifting the powerband upwards ..with a corresponding DROP in fuel efficiency due to a sudden torque hole down lower..

I would have thought Cummins would have had this fairly well under control from the factory..(Maybe less so on the earlier engines?)
I believe many hp and torque mods yield fe improvement with driver restraint. That's the hard part. More power on tap and you use it. Do truckers use some of the same hyper milling techniques outlined in this forum? I think your incentive program might be your best (mod).

The Following User Says Thank You to ctmaybury@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
craysus (02-21-2017)