View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Wink Proud new owner of an all-electric vehicle!

Yes, much to my surprise I suddenly own an EV!
Seats: none
Max speed: 9 mph
Street legal: no
Range: what?
Weight: 11.5 kg
Carrying capacity: 20 to 120 kg
Make: 'Denver'
Price: €199 at the door.

It has one big thing going for it. It is red.

My mother-in-law asked if we would like a hoverboard for the kids.
She would pay for it so we can buy it, bring it to her covertly when on visit and she could give it to the kids.
If only she was allowed to try it out too.

We quickly decided that we would not go along. My inlaws need the money harder than we do, it is quite dangerous especially with my motorically and mentally clumsy kids (they are both very intelligent, don't get me wrong, I love them immensely).
A pedagogical quagmire (but secretly technologically engaging )...

So my wife told her it was off. Then she sent us the money.
We gave in to her stubborn determination and bought one that had good reviews:

I tried it out already. Yes it works.
It is quite heavy, also feels very solid.
It takes some getting used to, seems overreactive. I had to cross some mental bridge to actually get moving at more than a snails pace.
It needs a closed off area as it is not road legal, nor allowed on any terrain open to the road even if it is private property. It also needs to be free of any obstacles as it will keep pushing agains any obstruction.

Of course I read the manual first, which says it cannot be used by children or the elderly; tough luck, mother-in-law!
It can also not be stored when fully charged (fire risk), be used within an hour of charging (fire risk), be stored in proximity to anything that can burn (fire risk), be used intensively (fire risk), be used without full skating protection or likewise, you name it.

We'll try it out tomorrow or Monday, weather permitting. It can only be used when dry.

My verdict so far: it is nothing but a toy.
You cannot use it for transportation; even worse, it needs to be carried everywhere and it is quite heavy.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-25-2017 at 08:57 AM..