View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

Awesome feedback from everyone!

vskid3
I have heard of "endless sphere." I've been a long time reader of this forums automotive aerodynamic threads (very interesting stuff), and when I discovered that there was a place to discuss e-bikes I figured why not...

I kinda figured that 15/16 cells in series would be the ideal configuration, I just wanted a second opinion. My thinking is that each cell has a nominal voltage of 3.2 volts, but in reality when fully charged the voltage should be a tiny bit higher (ie. 0.1-0.3 volts higher). With a total of 15 cells in series, (taking into account the tiny bit higher voltage when fully charged) I should get 49.5 volts to 52.5 volts. I could be wrong about the cells being a "tiny" bit higher when fully charged, i'm just going by what I see on YouTube videos. That could be a higher voltage that lasts temporarily once the battery is disconnected from the charger.

I've also given more consideration to where I am going to mount the battery. I am thinking that the more weight I have on the rear wheel the faster the rear tire is going to wear. Plus, as you mentioned the instability/overall poor weight distribution of all the weight being in the rear.

BTW, i've been reading about your e-bike build. It looks very cool. I am glad to see that other people are also using LiFePO batteries over Li-ion. (not that there's anything wrong with anyone using Li-ion aside from explosions and fires <--- Just kidding... But seriously be safe/careful with Li-ion)

jjackstone
I will be using a rear wheel direct drive hub motor. I plan to ride the bike is a full upright position (the more comfortable I am the better).

Recumbent bike's look pretty cool, but I would prefer to stay in an upright seated position.

I will look into ebikes.ca (i'll tell them jjackstone sent me )

Grant-53
I am now working on a new plan/design to mount the batteries just below the top tube and down the seat tube (ie. the inside of the frame. not literally the inside, you know... the outside inside)

I spent about 8-10 years of my childhood and now into adulthood (now at the age of 30) riding mountain bikes. 3 years ago I got into road bikes and haven't looked back. With that being said I do prefer a narrower handlebar.

I just googled "HPV shell", that's wild. I've watched many YouTube videos on that stuff. I've got two reasons (or excuses) for using a "traditional" bicycle.
1. It's less obvious to law enforcement that I have an e-bike (should I find myself doing 30mph uphill). Also less obvious to the public/other cars on the road.
2. I have special access to the back of the building I work at. I am able to badge into the building from a service entrance that is relatively out of sight and walk into my office with the bike. (Security doesn't care what I do, but I cant go walking around cubicles with a bicycle or an HPV )

I am sure that HPV's are legal on the road (as I have heard many YouTube videos talk about), but I would prefer to be as under the law enforcement radar as possible (ie. less conspicuous) when riding on the road.

Update
I stopped by my local bike shop yesterday to test ride a few different mountain bikes. To my surprise I was able to find new name brand mountain bikes priced around $500 (within my budget). At this time I am leaning towards the Specialized RockHopper. This bike is a 29r. While I would prefer a 26" wheel, I think the benefit of a larger wheel is less power required to maintain speed? (not to mention a smoother ride).

My plan is to use the pedals to get the bike to about 10mph then ease in the electric motor to speed up to and maintain 18-20mph. And of course, assist the motor when climbing up steep hills (of which I'd only have 2 short steep hills on my regular route).

Since I plan to use this bike as a replacement for my car to go to and from work, I will be wearing my work clothes (button down shirt and khaki pants). I can always wear something else (ie. lycra) and change when I get into work, but my idea behind using an e-bike over my regular bike is that I wont be sweaty when I arrive at work.