View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
stiletto2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
About two weeks ago got a 2009 Kymco 250 ri.

Supposedly one of the front calipers are applied when the rear brake lever is pulled.
It does not say it anywhere on the bike but it might have ABS. There is a reluctor and wheel speed sensor on the R/F side disk.

Have not beaten the record tank on my Mirage yet (~76 MPG) but got close at 75.1 MPG. (had a 65,69,71 and 75 MPG fillups.

To be fair,I ride the bike a lot faster than the Mirage.

RPMs are crazy. 6K at 50 MPH! Why? Had it up to 75 MPH and kept on accelerating but tac was approaching 9K. Red line starts at 7500 RPM.

That is the one thing a normal motorcycle can do that I can't is to re-gear for more eco friendly RPMs.

Might look into heavier rollers/sliders for the variator but even then all it's going to do is apply the tallest ratio at a slower speed than before but at about 45 MPH and above it will be the same ratio and RPMs as now.

Unless there are some other tricks or kits to increase gearing. Usually people go in the other direction with lighter rollers to increase pulling RPMs for faster acceleration but this thing is plenty quick as it is.

All in all I really like this bike and might just have to get an even larger displacement scooter in the future that can cruise 65 MPH at a reasonable RPM.

I did not know scooters were this much relaxing fun to ride!
One of the things you could do to increase gearing is to use a 165/70R14 car tire. Car tire? on a scooter? Why yes... see more about that here:
For Maxi-Scooters The DarkSide (according to bandito2) Part 1 & 2

I use a 145/70R12 on some of my Honda 250cc scooters and a 155/80R12 on another. (with modified swingarm) Another benefit of taller car tire is besides gearing gain, the tire longevity will be about 5 or 6 X as long as the standard scooter tire. And you will get lower engine rpm for given speeds compared to when using a shorter standard scooter rear tire. (also, less rpms = less fuel used)

Some scooter owners will use sliders in place of rollers in the CVT since rollers can develop flat spots and reduce performance. That does sound like excessive rpms to me, but then it's not a Honda so I couldn't say for sure that it was not how it usually is for the Kymco. If it has speed sensors, then I'd say it likely has ABS. (try a relatively low speed test on a sandy or wet spot on pavement by grabbing the rear brakes hard enough to see if ABS activates. And it probably has a light that comes on temporarily at start up.)

Honda also has what is called "combined braking" that is; when pulling the rear brake, a single piston of the front brake gets applied proportionally after a delay. The right brake lever operates the front brake independently when applied and does not affect the rear brake. Sounds like Kymco has a similar system for that bike.
And yes, scooters ARE a lot of fun to ride. (comfortable too)
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me