View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
DieselJan
Less waste = better FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This doesn't make a lot of differnce to me because my car has a generator; but two questions:
  • Others on Ecomodder have experimented with totally replacing the battery with supercapacitors. Could you suggest a way to have a supercapacitor buffering a battery? Because if you could I could see dual alternators on a serpentine-belt pulley system with big, fat wires.
  • There exist sites like https://www.instructables.com/ where you can get greater exposure for your idea. Have you thought about posting it on a maker website?
Hi Freebeard
I see instructables is ranked much higher than ecomodder, so they have many more visitors. But no I haven't thought of it. I like ecomodder as people have helped me, so I would like to help them if I can. It is also more interactive like your question, so we can solve problems easier.

I am not 100% clear with your question. From what I understand you want to put supercapacitors that is fast charged during breaking, for better regenerative breaking. Then they will discharge to charge the normal battery. Is this what you are asking.

I have some idea that can work, but want to make sure it is what you mean before drawing. I see that most supercapacitors is of a low voltage level, but that's not a big problem. A buffer system could also be build with high voltage caps. As I understand an alternator can also generate high voltage, but I think probably at higher RPM.

Also why would you want to put in 2 alternators, 1 should be enough. Can you please explain your question differently so that I am clear with exactly what you would like to get.

Thanks
Jan