View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Well I found out the problem but not the solution now that I got gauges installed. I have low boost. Hardly 1-3 psi normal driving and max possible under load only about 13-15 psi. It should go about 32 psi stock. I checked the turbo and it has no play or rubbing and spins freely. I thought the cat might be plugged so I too off the whole exhaust to test but no change except noise (there was a hole rusted in the muffler anyway so I want a new exhaust system). I will maybe try to build a boost leak tester. I don't see or hear any leaks but apparently it doesn't take much to lose boost pressure. The exhaust brake is disconnected and in the open position but I wonder if a carbon "potato" can form on the plate. I will probably pull the downpipe and look in that end. The air compressor is dead so it doesn't work anyway, I may just pull it off altogether, although is was a $1300 part so fixing it would be nice for downhill grades.

At least I got my Subaru back so I may just take it in to the shop for the experts to figure out.