View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #100 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostealth View Post
No need to even have a mpg metric. They could simply specify Cd standards, HP, and mass. MPG is just something people want to know when making a decision to buy. The metrics I mentioned are how they are achieved.
That is way more cumbersome than having an MPG standard. You go from having to enforce regulation on 1 parameter, to regulating 3. Besides, a heavy and powerful vehicle can be more fuel efficient than a lighter and weaker one, especially if it's an EV.

The real root of the issue is the low relative price of petroleum as a fuel. If you want to reduce demand for something, then raise the price.

That said, burning fossil fuels for transportation is an extremely low threat to humanity, and relatively low threat to the environment. Furthermore, and attempts to reduce consumption in a few local areas (the US, for example) will do little to reduce global consumption. If the US stopped all consumption of gasoline, the price would plummet, and other countries would increase consumption.

It would take a near 100% global participation rate for an effort to reduce petroleum consumption to be effective. Anything less than that is either naive, or political marketing.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!