View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I've always liked gearing that allows low RPMs while cruising on the road. No only is it generally good for economy through less piston speed and related friction, but it's more relaxing for the driver not having to listen to a screaming engine for hours on end. I also believe it's good for engine longevity due to less wear and tear provided, of course, the engine is not being lugged.

My 2015 2.0L Mazda3 with the six-speed automatic is an example of my preference. At 60 mph, it's turning over at a leisurely, diesel-like 1700 RPM, and at 70 mph it's just reaching 2000, all the while developing about 85% of its maximum torque. I do like those long legs.

I believe this is part of the reason I've been able to record an overall 43.4 mpg during the 23,000 miles I've driven it so far. I don't hypermile per se, but I have driven it almost exclusively on the highway with essentially no short-trips in between. Another help is the 13.0:1 compression ratio, which Mazda has managed to employ while allowing the use of cheap ole RUG. My overall fuel cost is at 4.5 cents per mile so far, not bad for a car I got out the door for $20K brand new.

My data does not answer the OP's question about lean burn, but it does support the use of tall gearing, for sure.