View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
DieselJan
Less waste = better FE

Hi Kach22i
Thanks for all the diagrams. I like the camless engine, nice and simple. The flywheel momentum will make it continue in the same direction. The one advantage of the spring is to stop the conrod from breaking. I also don't know what size spring will be needed, but that's why I'm asking.

If you get into the maths behind it, you will find that is the impulse of the combustion that breaks the conrod. That is why people die in accidents and when they fall from the sky. It is not the fall that kills, but the sudden stop.

Craysus:
I am trying to understand how effectively reducing the compression ratio of the combustion chamber, you are "increasing efficiency?"

The idea of the spring is to keep the conrod length standard except on the power stroke. It will only compress if pressure rises above a set point. Then expand later in the power stroke and put back most of that energy on the crankshaft. So its use is to flatten the peak power and make it more useful. The compression ratio will stay the same as the spring will do nothing during compression, only after fuel starts burning and build up enough pressure will the spring compress.

Stovie:
What if you sealed the bottom part of the cylinder and had compressed air push the pistons up will fuel continued to power the downstroke??

Haven't thought about it, could use exhaust gas to push op the piston. But would you get a gain in efficiency.

Mobilone:
why not just retard the timing?

I tried it. On my diesel it just makes white smoke.(un burnt diesel due to low combustion temperatures.) And fuel consumption is bad at high speeds.
I finally sorted out my diesel pump internal pressure and dynamic timing 3 days ago. It's a different pickup now. Will see consumption this weekend.
What we actually need is detonation at about 45-60 degrees ATDC. But at that stage the air temps and pressure is too low for detonation.

So the plan with this mod is to advance the timing to get detonation or very fast and complete combustion close to TDC and then store the energy for use ATDC.
Jan