View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Andrew1
EcoModding Lurker

Hi

Thanks for the great info regarding cummins and intake
temps...i'd imagine similar numbers should apply to most diesels including the tdi.

I've been more closely monitoring my intake air temps vs Ambient temps by purchasing a cheap outdoor digital thermometer from tractor supply and I was surprised to see how much difference there was between ambient and intake temp....and the temps are pretty cool....low 30s at night.

With that I may open up the grill area I blocked off on front of the intercooler....perhaps the added Cooling air would more than offset any aero losses of the partially blocked grill.

I have been thinking of venting the passenger side fender liner....ie...putting in a vent in the fender liner would effectively let cooling air through the intercooler since in jettas there is a definite vent and ductwork from the bumper cover to the intercooler but no defined exit after the intercooler....opening up the area behind there should promote airflow through the intercooler but will introduce additional airflow into the wheelwell....

Do you think additional airflow into the wheel wells would negatively affect aerodynamics and mileage?

If not would venting both fender liners be beneficial?

Fwiw Jettas have belly pans and side skirts in the engine compartment that greatly enclose the engine compartment....ive read that the purpose is to retain engine temps....redice noise...and keep the engine cleaner...i guess gender venting may not be in line with all this but I am looking for maximum fuel mileage.

Thanks for you great info and insights

Andrew