View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #3047 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I would like to stick the controller in there, but it's a veritable nanny state. I don't want to brick the car with error codes. Even the steering wheel is electronic. Does anybody know if I could just take the stock controller out, and stick mine in, and then disable some stuff, and drive around, or will that mess up other systems like the steering?
Sorry about that - I got carried away and did not attempt to answer your question!

The CANbus devices talk to each other as well as to the ECU. The data is published to the bus and any other device that is interested can get that data, and respond to the data. The CANbus message arbitration is handled in hardware, based on the address of the device. Lower is more important. The devices monitor the bus and verify that what they 'sent' is what is on the bus. Since the address is first, and active low is 0, 0 trumps 1. So the lowest address wins. If a device sends a 1 and reads back a 0, it stops sending and waits for the message to end before retrying.

So the steering, Anti-lock brakes, radiator fan, dash gauges, etc should all function. I think you would need to figure out which codes are sent by the ECU to tell the controller to enable, what speed to go, max current, etc. in order to use your controller in the Leaf. That is one of the things I want to figure out. There is some feedback as well, from the controller, the actual current to the motor, bus voltage, ... I'm sure there are others.

I think this will be a challenge but well worth it. I'd like to see your controller be able to replace the stock controller in any AC vehicle system. Sooner or later the OEM parts go obsolete and I expect these drivetrains to last for many, many years. The controller, in my opinion, is one of those things that will wear out ... capacitors dry out ... connectors have contamination and short out ... that sort of thing.

Was that message a bit more focused?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
kalidasbala (03-19-2017), MPaulHolmes (03-18-2017)