Thread: Aero model 1983
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
In '83 I thought parabolic leading forms were the bomb.

This is a chunk of wood. B pillar air intakes, radiator and air exhaust across the back, the idea being zero wake but yeah the under tray rises too steeply.

Your own work?

It looks cool, I like it a lot.

Ratio and proportion wise, 24" high wheels, eight foot wheelbase, this design is roughly 38 inches tall like the Ford GT 40 which is 40-inches tall.

Problem is the GT-40 (the original race car not the later Ford GT) is a larger car with the driver almost lying down with legs and feet up into the front suspension.

Even with the driver pushed as far back a possible (too far from the windshield for good optics and depth perception) with a small 4-cylinder FWD engine in the back, this design will need a sizable Gurney Bubble for anyone over five foot one. My wife should be able to fit in it though.

I like it, but I once had an experience in a design competition where the coolest looking cars broke the template and more or less cheated.

That would be like designing a building only midgets could inhabit, and not to code. Cool for filming a Hobbit movie but real life is a little more cruel.

Last edited by kach22i; 03-21-2017 at 11:29 AM..