View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Paul's AC Controller already does a good deal of what is described - vector mode control of AC induction motors, control of BLDC.

The V/F or volts/herz controller is much simpler and can run without an encoder, resolver, etc. It is less efficient. But it will run multiple motors in parallel from a single controller. I have more to investigate about doing 4WD in V/F and how much the wheels will slip - the question being whether the front wheels can pull but still spin at different speeds for corners.

I think this BAS alternator/generator is a good fit. I have one of Paul's AC controllers (serial #2 I think) and I'd like to try it. The firmware may need to be changed if I find something that won't work.

As always, the connection between the motor and the wheel is my problem. I'm not good at mechanical things. You'd think I'd be able to get a belt drive working .. perhaps with a very simple tensioner that let the belt slip if there was too much load?

I will call my local wrecker this afternoon. Perhaps they have one of these E-assist motors available nearby. If I could pick one up Monday that would be AWESOME.