View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
RoadTripRob
EcoModding Lurker

@vman455
The prius road trip looks fun. Good point about the other advantages of hybrids on the highway. For others the hybrids would be good but for me the negatives are too much(more expensive, not good in extreme cold, more things to go wrong). I will look into them more to see if i could make it work.

@redpoint
the spread sheet is really good idea, i will make one and post it. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT ITS HARD TO GET RELIABLE INFO, one source everyone will say a car gets 25mpg another will ll claim 40, some say quiet road noise another says loud. e.c.t

@hersbird
corvette is stable on the highway vs a yaris which wobbles. On an icy road stability is a must. My friend gave me a new set of amazing new winter tires from his merc that he sold,(free winters for a sports car). After a small amount of research lots of people happily drive corvettes in winter\snow. I will put the corrola 2.4 on my list.

@sask
lol, it is hotter here in summer but with the steep hills and it constantly thaws and melts the first 2 months of "summer" are like a grit rally stage. I will add the passat to my list, i know they are a little harder to work on than equivalent cars from other brands.

@slowmover very good point. on most highways you cant maintain a constant speed due to other road users. I had an 06 chrysler 300 v6, it was ok. not as reliable, fuel efficient, or cheap as i would like. ill put it on my list though. safety is a factor in my decision.

@cali civic
ill add the sonic to my list. looks like a good car but its twice as expensive as the fit.

@rmay
how much for a new battery on the volt when it freezes? complex drivetrain means a high running cost for potentially marginally better fuel economy. I will look into the volt and see if my suspicions are correct.

@petec
The insight 1 looks good, it will be really hard to find a good one now as they are quite old and not many people had them around here to start with.

@vskid
my 911 gets 35mpg highway. hybrids have higher life long running costs than eco non hybrids(e.g bluemotion diesel). You contradict yourself and support it with your opinion. "dont buy a fast car to drive it slow" I can drive as slow as i want thanks.

I have lots of good car ideas. Ill make an excel document.