View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
bondvagabond
EcoModding Apprentice

vandle - '93 Ford E-350 Xlt
Sorry for wordy opening post. My buddy had a coffee taste testing party. Not your guys' fault I went to it...

I think I was just really excited to be working on the project again. That plus way to much coffee was a devils brew.

I do have something to add to the communal knowledge base. There is a "real" fix that doesn't involve welding, if you crack a starter mount boss off a 6.2 or 6.5 Chevy diesel, or like me, you get a great deal on one because of such a problem. Ill add a link later, but Search on YouTube for "Chevy starter mount repair"
There is a guy who figured out an adapter used to put a 350 Chevy bolt pattern motor into older 50's era bolt pattern trucks with stock trannies, can be used to repair my problem. You have to separate engine and tranny, but only 1/2", don't have to pull trans. It has mounts for old style 3 horizontal bolt starter mount, instead of 2 vertical bolt mounts, so you have to get a dud 3 bolt starter and swap nose cones, but that should be easy if you've ever rebuilt a starter. I plan to do this if my j.b. weld doesn't work. I taught myself to weld cast iron on my bench, was all excited, but just running extension cords to the truck, dropped the current enough it was just stick, stick, stick. Don't have the bucks for a mighty extension cord, so j.b. weld it is. I did enough epoxy work on boats, that I have better than average luck with JB weld.

Previous owner had tried to use a smaller gasser starter, the third mount bracket was too short, so he left it off. We who know 6.2 motors know what happens next. Just too much lever arm on a big old starter, and the mounts crack.

I drew myself a wireing diagram for the glow plug harness. That's the only part that did not come with my one size fits all wireing harness kit. Need to measure the run lengths for my diagram, then should be able to solder it up all comfy at my dining room table in the A/c. My wife is the best.

Does anyone know if it will confuse the glow plug controller if I put much larger wires for the glow plug to glow plug relay section of the harness? Like if it uses resistance to measure something? I have the older style cylindrical 6 wire controller if that makes a difference. I inherited a bunch of wire from my grandpa who was way into ham radio. I like to go big on high amp draw 12v stuff.

It's good to hear for intended use of freeway flying, a locking 700r4 should be almost as good as a manual. I will start looking for a core to rebuild.

Mad max would have driven a metro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bondvagabond For This Useful Post:
aardvarcus (03-27-2017), MetroMPG (03-27-2017)