View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
I had been thinking about this... If you live in Canada, you're totally boned when it comes to car ownership. Let me explain how:

Unless you live in Victoria BC, you've got road salt. You can take it to rust treatment, but odds are you don't. And after like 10 years and idk maybe 150k kilometers, your car is going to be rusted to hell and worthless and end up in a junkyard. How many 15-yr-old or more cars do you see on the road in Ontario? Like, none.

That means people are replacing these old ones as they die with new ones. Except Canada's dollar is worthless and so the new cars cost too much to own, so you end up with 6 year loans and bad cellphone contracts.

Even the G1 Insight all-aluminum body isn't immune to the salt; mine had to have the lower cat replaced, I had to weld a new flange onto the upper cat, and my cousin replaced all of the brake lines and previous owner replaced part of the fuel line and I had to replace the sway bar link arms, AND I patched corrosion holes in where the seat bolts enter the floorpan. Also there's less than 400 of these things up here anyway so like not everyone can get one.

Point is that cars don't last, and it's hard to get a used car that's worth buying because they've all been turned to rust. Canadians are totally screwed.

And then the new cars they're making, they keep you know improving standards and ****, so the cheapest new car is $10K these days, and like you know lots of people don't want to drive a Nissan Micra (even though they probably should, or a Mitsubishi Mirage, because then they'd save on Canada's terribly high gas prices) so they're just paying money out their asses meanwhile they're probably broke because it's Canada and the economy sucks.

Oh and I'm writing this post from Canada, I'm visiting this weekend.

Last edited by Natalya; 03-31-2017 at 02:54 AM..