View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keller
speed demon

Thread is worth less with out pics. Lol.

So last year I picked me up a sweet 1995 3cly/5 for a song. No frame rot underneath at all. Looks show room condition. And I have been. Driving it daily getting a consistent 38-42 miles per gallon.

And considering​ the way I drive that's doing pretty darn good.

So last week I picked up a rotted out 3cly/5 for super cheap.

I was mostly wanting a spare transmission but it runs pro better than mine with near zero blow by. So that's nice. But while I mostly bought it for parts, a lot of the reason for buying it was to start my roof chop.

I figure I can keep driving my red95 and slice and dice the black95 untill the point that I cut the roof off the red95 and transfer the roof and doors from black 95.

So first step was to find out just how much roof I can take out while still being comfortable.

Out came the seat and a race bucket was load down. Very comfortable and low position.

So low that the steering wheel will need dropped down to me. And the stick shift will need extended and bent back. But the pedals work excellent.

After sitting in the car like this for a long time and taking g lots of measurements I concluded I could take 8" out of the roof. So I took the door off and drug it in my Fab shop.

Unfortunately I was so caught up in ideas and figuring out how to do it I forgot to take pictures of the process.

But basically I pulled the rubber track. Cut 8" off the bottom of the rubber track. Then took 8" out of the upper frame. Reinstalled the rubberand I was finished.

A pretty substantial chop.

I left myself 3.5 inches over my head. I figured 1.5" of roll cage and 2" of buffer should be enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keller For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-06-2017), MetroMPG (04-04-2017)