View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
You will not be able to make a low budget conversion that will have any practical use. Batteries alone will put you over your minimalistic goals. Believe me, the pioneers on this site that are planning conversions and carrying them through are a bit more than handy around vehicles. If indeed the vehicle is beyond repair I would consider an economical used alternative while you delve into the world of electric conversions, which would include, choosing the proper motor for the project vehicle, the different types of controllers available and necessary to regulate the power, the number and types of batteries you will need in order to get the range and top speeds you want to get out of your project. ANd once you have the knowledge, then research welding shops that can make the brackets and parts necessary to pull it all together.

I would start by researching rides like forkenswift, which is on this site, and see what he went through to convert his vehicle and what that vehicle is realistically producing after the conversion.

Believe me, if the conversions were that plug and play we would all have them by now. In terms of toys this one would be labeled for ages 14+ .. LOL

Good luck.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???