View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Puncture-proofing bicycle tires?

A few years back I installed a silicone liner between the tire and inner tube, to better protect from punctures. At about the same time I told my neighbor about it and he also installed liners in his mountain bike. The next day he got a flat. When I helped him take the tire off I noticed that the end of the liner had worn a hole on the inner tube. I explained to him that since his tires were grossly underinflated the liner rubbed against the tube with every revolution. We mended the tube and I inflated his tires to at least the minimum pressure on the tire sidewall.

Since then I have experienced the same situation multiple times, though in my case it take more time for the end of the liner to wear through the tube, since it is pressed to the tire by the higher pressure I prefer. But last week it happened to me twice - once on each tire! So I removed the liners, since they did not always protect against metal scraps, glass, etc., anyway. I immediately got 2 more flats due to glass (that's 4 flats within 1.5 weeks!).

So is there any other way to protect myself from puncture? The liner design is flawed because it is a tape, with 2 ends that rub and wear the tube. Better would be a ribbon without ends. I commute 200km per week for 10-11 months per year, through urban areas, so there is always glass I have watch out for

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread