View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #55 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Read through the thread -

I voted 1. I am going to buy a truck/SUV/Van. If I can make it more efficient I will. 99% of it's life will be on paved road, but as I mentioned that other 1% is kinda nasty - potholes, railroad crossings, towing. The suspension and clearance of a truck helps.

Once I have retired (36 months and counting) I will likely try to pack enough battery into whatever I buy to make it all-electric. But I need something reliable right now, day in and day out.

My Mazda is my toy, to play with the electric conversion. If it works out well - fine. I will pound the tar out of it. After I upgrade the suspension to hold the battery pack, and lift the rear a couple of inches for extra clearance. And it should survive my daily commute, for a couple of years anyway. It still can't haul enough battery to make it 130 miles after work on friday.

I still need to haul my trailer. 15 times last year. A few miles to the garbage/recycle/metal yard would only be maybe 1800 lbs. 100 miles to the lake still needs a vehicle that can haul 3000+ lbs. There are only a couple of local places that rent trucks/vans that have a hitch receiver. I could make it work if I had to, but their hours make it difficult.

I'll stop there - just an opinion from someone who has occasional use for a truck/suv