View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
What has you so obsessed with the Centurion? Ya it looks cool, but it doesn't really get over 100MPG unless you're willing to take a few hours on your commute. According to this article, it gets 128MPG at a constant 35MPH, and around 40MPG in normal driving. The reason it gets good mileage is the tiny diesel (that tops out at 55MPH), not really the aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schunter1969 View Post
An actual modification to a car requires tools, experience, and hard work. Things I have seen people do on this website for "Hypermiling Mods" is tape Duct Tape and card board for "aerodynamics".... this is not an actual modification, this you trying to make yourself feel good because you lack the skills to actually do something. You are giving yourself a participation trophy and patting yourself on the back.
Have you ever crunched the numbers for how long it takes for mods to pay off? Most only increase mileage by a few percent each, and starting with a higher MPG car makes additional savings have less and less impact. If I were to buy/make $300 wheel skirts for my Prius and they took it from 50 to 55MPG (they wouldn't), it would take over 41k miles for them to pay off with $4/gal gas. If I made those same skirts using coroplast and some bits from the hardware store for $30, it would only 4100 miles to break even. That's why most mods are done on the cheap.

This is pretty much what the optimal aerodynamic car would look like.

This is the Aerocivic, the physical manifestation of the aero template. It gets 100MPG at 60MPH. Anything that doesn't look similar won't come close to those numbers.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread