View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #184 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Been a while!

After an insanly harsh winter and being parked for a few months, I still drove it in the cold and bitter times that the roads allowed. Pulled off a surprising 76.37 tank! This is likely 100% city driving, too.

My last few runs, now that spring is creeping up, has been very positive. In fact, when I parked it in December at ~1/2 tank, the display was telling me I was only low 70's in MPG and was able to get the gauge to give me "79.4 MPG" at the end of the tank. So, I'm confident that I'll be seeing some very good numbers for year 2 of Frogger.

Dropbox has killed my public folder, so I need to figure out how to get the pictures on this site again.

I do have 1 mild new mod...
I bought THESE LED BLINKERS for the front, hoping they would fit. They did! And I mean BARELY. They basically push on the amber factory cover a little, very tight fit. But... they went in, no problem. They are INSANELY bright! I benched them at 13.3v and they pulled a maximum of 0.32a, meaning ~4.25 watts each. A nice little drop... though, with turn signals, not that important.

To kill the hyperblinking, I took out the factory relay for the blinkers (top-right of the fuse box... turn on your hazard light and touch the relay, you can "feel" the clicking) and unsoldered the solid metal bar inside. I then put TWO OF THESE in series to replace it. Now it blinks like normal, without having to solder a resistor per light. Really, 3 in series probably would work better, but meh, good enough. Just once in a while, while engine off, it gets a weird stutter blink, but its rare and still not an issue. I did, however, have to cut the side of the relay housing and have these stick out the top (when plugged in) to make it all fit. I figure, it's able to cool better that way! Yeah... that's why I did it. Cooling...

This year, I plan to finish the underbelly and, with any luck, get around to doing some adjustable grilling. I might also throw a small heat pad onto the trans. I'd love to rid of the antenna housing and rear washer squirter, as well a blank plate made to rid of the nub sticking out from my factory passenger mirror mount. Depending on how things go, I might be able to FINALLY get to real eco tires on this thing (sounds like I'd see a pretty good boost in MPG that way).

Anywho, just a little update on my side of the world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-13-2017), MetroMPG (04-13-2017)