View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Anyone else notice some really bad advice given here?

Removing bolts for zipties?

Really?

Cars have a tendency to move and vibrate and bounce around. Do you really want all the stuff inside rattling around?

Cutting out bracing?

I suspect an engineer may have put it there for a reason.

And damn near weightless insulation mounted to the firewall? There's a reason they called it a firewall. There really hot stuff on the other side. Do you want that heat coming through any more than is necessary? Will it effect all the electronics behind the dash?

And that bit of metal in the steering wheel, yeah, I'm sure they put it in their for better overall weight distribution. They couldn't possibly have done it to kep you from being impaled on the steering column in the event of an accident. I realize that this may be a non-issue if you are properly belted in, but for the .00000000000000027/mpg it costs me, I'll leave it there.
I guess you missed this line then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
You don't want to compromise your safety too much, now do ya? (though, airbags are heavy... are they worth your life?)
Use your head if you are going to do ANY modifications to your car. Replace a motor mount bolt with a ziptie?! Definitely not. There are plenty of things that, if willing, you can change out safely without any real negative consequences. Though, small amounts of weight will never show up on your fuel log.

BTW the plate I'm talking about is a very thin, flimsy plate under the steering wheel column. I'm sure if I kicked the plastic trim REALLY hard, that plate might have kept it from cracking. Otherwise, I see no reason to keep it. It wasn't the steering wheel itself.

Last edited by NoD~; 04-17-2017 at 11:39 AM..