View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Have there been any studies showing the causation?

Most of the studies I've read regarding highway speed limits show that increasing a speed limit that was set lower than the prevailing speeds most drivers drive at will increase compliance but not increase the average speed of drivers. Variation in speed is reduced, and the higher the deviation from the average speed, the higher the risk of a collision. As such, studies typically show no change in fatal collisions or a reduction.
For example: Speed Doesn’t Kill - The Repeal of the 55-MPH Speed Limit

I would be more than a little surprised if the higher fatality rates are linked to higher PSLs on highways.
Highway death increase is large and occurred in a very short time of 1 year.

Since miles traveled went up minimally where does the Wisconsin 32-38% increase in deaths come from? (Overall/highway)

Inside sources say 2 lane highways had death increases within the margin of error leaving the increase solely to interstate.

Authorities state average highway speeds have increased more than the increase in the limit and that lots of new and very old drivers are now on the road?
In the span of 1 year that falls flat with me.
Authorities admit impaired or distracted drive account for most deaths but again, did that change by 38% in one year?

My guess is that higher speeds cause more dangerous accidents, which is not for discussion everyone agrees on that, but all forms of accidents and injuries have risen which means more accidents.

If speed has nothing to do with it and people where texting last year and are driving similar annual distances and obviously in a state with a reducing population we haven't had everyone age 20 years overnight or similarly import millions of 16 year olds either. (Birth rates have been low over 20 years here)

What is left?