View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
donee
EcoModding Apprentice

- - '10 Toyota Prius III w/Navi
Hi Cephrain,

I am a Prius driver, and do have grill blocks. The NAH is built with Toyota HSD technology. So these comments assume the NAH is similar to the Prius. The Inverters and transmission on HSD cars need cooling. The transmission is only cooled by airflow over the transmission. The transmission has the big motor and the speeder motor (socalled MG2 and MG1). Both need to be cooled. The inverters are cooled by a liquid coolant loop and radiator. In the Prius, that radiator is the lower third of the radiator assembly (both engine and inverter radiators are integrated into one assembly, with seperate chambers). Assuming the NAH is similar, you probably do not want to grill block the lower openings except when it gets below 20 F.

Assuming the top 2/3'rds of the radiator is the engine radiator, you can grill block probably the passenger side of the top grill (again leaving the lower grill open) and 1/2 of the driver side for casual commuting. Casual Commuting meaning - no mountains, no desert, no 100 F/80% relative humidity and running the AC at 70 F. The reason for this is to get air to the transmission which is assumed to be on the driver side. Whatever you do, its best to set it up to be removable and instalable quickly. Even at a red-light quick.

The upper radiator blocking will improve aerodynamics the most. It will ease the bending of the air over the top of the hood. Also, water during rain, will not be guided into the hottest portions of the radiator, giving extra unwanted evaporative cooling.

I have also moved my license plate down so that it bridges the gap caused by the lower grill.

Last edited by donee; 08-17-2008 at 09:25 AM..