View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)
Owned a manual G1 Insight, spent a week each with a G2 Insight and a manual CR-Z.

Lifetime MPG for the G1 was around 60. G2 managed 50mpg over the course of a week, CR-Z managed about 42mpg.

Fun factor was more or less the opposite of economy. CR-Z is way out ahead of the other two, as you might expect. Has the most power, the manual gearbox is great, it feels well balanced, makes a sporty noise, has a fun cabin design, and feels fairly high quality. The seats gave me backache after only 15 minutes or so every time I drove it though.

G1 Insight is surprisingly good for a car so focused on economy over all else, and helped by light weight, but you're always limited by grip and ultra-long gearing. I always found it seriously comfortable over longer distances - whatever it is about the seats and driving position in that car, it just works for me. Interior is one of my favourites on any car too, but it possibly feels a bit flimsy by modern standards.

The G2 Insight's CVT and extra power make it more peppy more of the time, there's a little extra grip to lean on too, and it feels relatively light for a car of its size, but it's not "fun" in a traditional sense - more decently nimble. Probably the quietest and most comfortable of the trio, and obviously much more space inside.

If MPG is all, the G1 Insight has to be the car. The ideal compromise for me would be the CR-Z with the G2 Insight's economy - if it could get that extra easy 10mpg or so I'd probably buy one right now.

Not sure if any of this will help you choose, but just my take having driven all three candidates.